PDA

View Full Version : cold weather trail cams

cgarry
11-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Is there a trail cam that works well in -30? Tried bushnell, moultree and stealth cam they just don't work well in those conditions. moultree is good in warm weather, bushnell eats batts,stealth cam is good to -20 then gives problems after a couple days. Looking at replacing my stolen cam with one that works in cold weather.

razortec
11-02-2009, 03:18 PM
SPYPOINT (http://www.ggtelecom.ca/Canada/EN/products.html) is ranked as "the best cold weather trailcam" on Wild tv.
Only other one better is CamTrakker (http://www.camtrakker.com/), which has rechargeable batteries so is more expensive.......NOTHING has compared to it in the extreme cold!

JrlSask
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
If it is really cold you just have to hook up a 12V battery, I use the stealth cam with the stealth cam 12V rechargable battery. It will run a flash camera in really cold weather for a month or so, probably aroound 12 000 pics.

JrlSask
11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Curious to try my Predator camera out in the cold. Takes 10 AA and its supose to hold up really good in the cold with the expensive Lithium batteries. Guess we will see!

cgarry
11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I have a 12 volt and a 6 volt with the external batt and they are both the same. It's not a batt problem it is the camera's i have had 4 of these cameras and they have all been the same, only one of them work anymore.

JrlSask
11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Ic, well all of my stealth cams with flashes work well in the cold weather. My infareds not soo much! Seems to me that you can spend $100 on a good flash camera, but if your going the infared way you better spend $400 +?? Just what I've found, I've tried ten different makes and models.

Team Canada
11-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I know I don't work well in -30...

cgarry
11-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Has anyone tried these camtracker or spypoint's in -30 without a problem?

Team Canada
11-02-2009, 06:37 PM
We used 15 of the old spypoint 3mp ones last fall/winter with great results in cold weather, like over 2000 pics on a set of batteries in cold -20-30 weather and double that in the fall... these new 6mp ones I am not sure of as we have yet to have -30.. I do know right now they are way harder on Batteries, so would assume cold weather will not be near as good as the old 3mp.

We are also testing a new camera for a new company will have 9 in the field here soon, so will see how these are... have 1 out right now and it's unreal batt life.. Like at least 10,000 pics on a set of batteries..

I have an old Cam trakker, the film model, and it was terrible in cold weather, like 12 pics on a set of "D" batteries overnight.. I would assume the new ones are WAY better.. Razor has one and really likes it...

djhunter
11-02-2009, 07:02 PM
this picture was taken in my yard last winter by my wildveiw it was -35,the dam thing works great in cold weather,last winter i talked right too wildveiw because it locked up on me and i asked the guy what temp it would have to before it wouldn't take a picture,he told me it will work in cold well past -35 but your batterys won't stand the cold temps ..........that being said they really don't take a great picture but its a tool for me for hunting

it was sure cold that night she even has frost on her noodle

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/trail_cam_in_the_yard_09_081.jpg

cgarry
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Does anyone still sell the old 3mp spypoint sounds like a good cam, or do they just have the new models.

Team Canada
11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I tried to get the old 3mp ones back from Spypoint, but they are discontinued ... Not made or sold anymore...

cgarry
11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
this picture was taken in my yard last winter by my wildveiw it was -35,the dam thing works great in cold weather,last winter i talked right too wildveiw because it locked up on me and i asked the guy what temp it would have to before it wouldn't take a picture,he told me it will work in cold well past -35 but your batterys won't stand the cold temps ..........that being said they really don't take a great picture but its a tool for me for hunting

it was sure cold that night she even has frost on her noodle

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/trail_cam_in_the_yard_09_081.jpg

What model is that ? how is the batt life? can you hook up external power? just want a cam that will work to see what is coming.

djhunter
11-02-2009, 07:55 PM
hey Cor here's the cabela's link to what i have not sure if mine are 2 or 3's but there the same.....battery life with 4 C batterys good in the summer or fall,very poor in the cold so i hook up a external 12 volt battery source then it will last about a month in the winter other then that its a cheap cam that works great and dosen't fail in the cold

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat601629-cat20098&id=0051386418328a&navCount=1&podId=0051386&parentId=cat20098&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

cgarry
11-02-2009, 08:49 PM
thanks

JrlSask
11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Last winter I had two stealth cams out all winter, first pics are from a V650 (Shockey Sniper) and second the I590. I used a 12 volt recharbable battery on th Sniper and 8 C cell rechargable Tenergy batteries in the I590. Even in the coldest weather I would get thousands of pics with both. The 12 volt battery would last about a month and the C cell Tenergy's would last 10 to 14 days. Beleive me there were a few 40 below days as well! By the way that bale in the second set of pics was 50 feet away, unbeleivable flash distance!

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/grain_pile_5_718.jpg

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/grain_pile_5_017.jpg

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/grain_pile_winter_08_09_128.jpg

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/grain_pile_winter_08_09_297.jpg

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/grain_pile_winter_08_09_028.jpg

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/grain_pile_winter_08_09_278.jpg

firefighter
11-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Not really happy with the spypoint compared to my stealth cam I590. Spypoint since it has dipped down a bit seems to be using the batteries. The stealth cam is hooked up to a solar panel and works great.

cgarry
11-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Just purchased stealth cam I590 because i already have the external batt and they seem to work well for some so i will give them 1 more try. Price is good, we will see how it works this winter, love the flash range.Thanks for the info

JrlSask
11-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Hope your as happy with yours as I am of mine! I know I am wanting another one of them. I had two cameras that bit the dust this summer, so I will have to get them replaced this winter!

cgarry
12-09-2009, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Team Canada;120502]We used 15 of the old spypoint 3mp ones last fall/winter with great results in cold weather, like over 2000 pics on a set of batteries in cold -20-30 weather and double that in the fall... these new 6mp ones I am not sure of as we have yet to have -30.. I do know right now they are way harder on Batteries, so would assume cold weather will not be near as good as the old 3mp.

We are also testing a new camera for a new company will have 9 in the field here soon, so will see how these are... have 1 out right now and it's unreal batt life.. Like at least 10,000 pics on a set of batteries..

How is the new spypoint working?
How is the new cam you were testing?

olfey
12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
SPYPOINT (http://www.ggtelecom.ca/Canada/EN/products.html) is ranked as "the best cold weather trailcam" on Wild tv.
Only other one better is CamTrakker (http://www.camtrakker.com/), which has rechargeable batteries so is more expensive.......NOTHING has compared to it in the extreme cold!

Razor, which models of these cameras do you prefer? I would like to update my camera stock as I have had a few go down this year. I'm not sure about spending $400 on a camera though. I bought 10 vildview 100's for $28.00 each and they seem to work good, but not too good when it comes to cold weather. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but not always. I and a buddy both had a few go down, and we both think it was caused by the cold weather. I would like to try something different for the cold months. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

jjj
12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
The camtrakkers use to be the tops but are garbage now, the mk-8 is so bad a buddy of mine smashed his with his rifle stock out of frustration! The new cuddieback captures are good, very nice and compact and idiot proof, battery life good with d's and really good when rigged to take 12v (custom job). The best I have found in the cold has been the stealth cam with the external. Very bulky but battery life is outrageously good, the previous posters are telling the truth. Need someone to rig up a unique bear box for them though.

mxzx440
12-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I mainly use the moultie I40s, they have been superb in all weather for me. I have just over 15 of them, most put batteries in in october and out of 15 of them, 10 of them are still running on the original set of batteries i put in this year, and all on baits some with over 1000 pics a night. I have one of their new I45s and an I65, but nowhere near the battery life. Really good pics though. Although I also have one reconyx and its the best cam I have had hands down, but the cost of over $600 is kinda crazy.

300Hunter
12-10-2009, 12:03 AM
I have a moultie i-60 and have used it for two years now all fall and winter. I do use a 12v solar panel with it and have never replaced the original set of batteries. We have had -30 to -35 temps as of late and it still works well except for an odd poor quality picture from the cold temp.

djhunter
12-10-2009, 12:40 PM
i'am starting to think about a new cam for up in coming bear season and i'am really leaning to the stealth cam I590,can any body tell me are stealth cam and wildveiw sister companys??

cgarry
12-10-2009, 02:11 PM
i'am starting to think about a new cam for up in coming bear season and i'am really leaning to the stealth cam I590,can any body tell me are stealth cam and wildveiw sister companys??

cabelas has the i590 on sale for $89.99 reg price is $119.99

djhunter
12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
cabelas has the i590 on sale for $89.99 reg price is $119.99

right on thanks corry

firefighter
12-11-2009, 07:23 AM
I know I don't work well in -30...

You got that right -20 its time to cuddle by the fireplace and watch reruns of Hunting Canada and beyond

firefighter
12-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Don't buy the wildview nothing but [problems, the stealth cam I590 I have three of them and you can buy them off ebay or cabelas for $80-90 bucks. work great in the cold you hook up a 12 volt battery.

elkaddicted
12-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Cuddebacks are good cameras but dont work well in cold. The original spypoint was a piece of crap and more than likely still are. Stealth cams I have heard are also crap. I have Moultrie I40's I'm sure the I60 is the same just better qual and on site picture viewing but they work outstanding. When its real cold they wont give you the true temp but doesnt matter a whole lot. Build a box for whatever camera dont rely on their mounting system it a joke. I would buy moutrie. Dont believe everything on WildTV. I'll say Spypoint or Stealth cam or the best for 10000 bucks. I dont have money to burn and researched very hard before buying and I'm glad I did.

cgarry
12-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Cuddebacks are good cameras but dont work well in cold. The original spypoint was a piece of crap and more than likely still are. Stealth cams I have heard are also crap. I have Moultrie I40's I'm sure the I60 is the same just better qual and on site picture viewing but they work outstanding. When its real cold they wont give you the true temp but doesnt matter a whole lot. Build a box for whatever camera dont rely on their mounting system it a joke. I would buy moutrie. Dont believe everything on WildTV. I'll say Spypoint or Stealth cam or the best for 10000 bucks. I dont have money to burn and researched very hard before buying and I'm glad I did.

Does that I40 work without problems in -30 i heard they don't? Never owned a moultrie but if they work in that temp i will own one soon.Just got a new spy point in the mail today set it up in the house worked fine, put it outside worked for 15 minutes then stopped bring it inside works fine when it warms up,tried this a couple times with the same result this cam will be going back.JUNK

djhunter
12-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Does that I40 work without problems in -30 i heard they don't? Never owned a moultrie but if they work in that temp i will own one soon.Just got a new spy point in the mail today set it up in the house worked fine, put it outside worked for 15 minutes then stopped bring it inside works fine when it warms up,tried this a couple times with the same result this cam will be going back.JUNK

i have a D40 and if you go by with a ice cube it shuts off:confused: poor cam

rvsask
12-12-2009, 08:20 AM
I hung an I40 on the way home from work yesterday just to see how long it'd handle the cold. It's -38 right now...I'll update tomorrow when I go get it.

elkaddicted
12-12-2009, 08:59 AM

Never had a problem with my I40's(six of them). I know the batteries do not last near as long in the cold like anything else. Leave your cell phone outside with full battery for a couple days with it not even being on and see how your batt ife is. The only thing is your temp on your info strip will be wacked. It will say 122F and stuff like that. I also dont use rechargeables when it gets cold cause I think if they do die they would freeze and be screwed. One other interesting thing I had mine still taking pictures in the fall at 22% battery life and I thought I better change them. For kicks I put them in a flashlight and it wouldnt even turn on. It was enough to keep taking pictures in the camera though. All I can say is do the research. If you go on Cabelas and read the reviews that other guys have commented on is a good tool. I do tell the good things and bad but all the outdoor shows tell you is how fantastic the cameras they use are. If a Spypoint or Stealth cam is so great everybody would be using that brand. Every outdoor show is different so you know their pockets are being padded from the manufacturer.

cgarry
12-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I hung an I40 on the way home from work yesterday just to see how long it'd handle the cold. It's -38 right now...I'll update tomorrow when I go get it.

How did your I40 work in the cold temps.

knopp346
12-14-2009, 09:36 PM
has anyone tried the Spypoint IR-C n the cold

djhunter
12-15-2009, 09:55 PM
i was doing some research on camera's tonight and found this info very intesting detection zone combine with trigger speed

here's a link

http://www.trailcampro.com/detectionzonetest.aspx

rvsask
12-16-2009, 08:03 AM
How did your I40 work in the cold temps.

I know I told you but will post for anyone interested.
3 hrs before quitting working..terrible blurry pics.

Sony homebrew setup got 2 days in those temps, great pics.

buck dominator
12-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I set up my moultree I-40 on a bait pile with new batteries on Dec. 6 I have been there three times and the card has 2500 pics on in every time so thats around 7500 pics or so and yes the info strip goes crazy and they arn't the best pics but they are better than some cheap cameras in the summer and this is only the forth set of batteries this year in this camera and it has been out in the field since bear season next year I'm going to get external power and I bet it will go all year. The only thing I don't like about this style of camera is that it's so big and the info screen that tells you your battery life and # of pics died a while ago but the camera still works good so whatever and it also has a very slow trigger speed so its no good on a trail but awesome on a bait pile

cgarry
01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
We used 15 of the old spypoint 3mp ones last fall/winter with great results in cold weather, like over 2000 pics on a set of batteries in cold -20-30 weather and double that in the fall... these new 6mp ones I am not sure of as we have yet to have -30.. I do know right now they are way harder on Batteries, so would assume cold weather will not be near as good as the old 3mp.

I have an old Cam trakker, the film model, and it was terrible in cold weather, like 12 pics on a set of "D" batteries overnight.. I would assume the new ones are WAY better.. Razor has one and really likes it...
How are the new cams you were testing.

Team Canada
01-04-2010, 10:01 PM
So far so good.. they kept going in the -40.. and right now we are working well.. Going to check them again this weekend.. will know more... But for right now real happy with them...

cgarry
01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Can you tell us what kind of cam these are.

Team Canada
01-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Soon...

knopp346
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
can you tell us what kind of cameras they are now hah

Team Canada
04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
They are built by Covert.

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/covert-II-bearsafe.jpghttp://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/covertIIa.gif

New HCAB Gear Cams will be in retailers soon..

knopp346
04-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Are these new cocert models like 2010

spikebuck
04-12-2010, 09:56 PM
well whats the scoop on these jason. lookin at buyin a new camera next week

JrlSask
04-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes, whats the scoop. When and where can a guy get his hands on one?? Jus a side note, has anyone ordered up one of the new reconyx cameras. They are alot smaller now with 1/5 sec trigger speed! They look saweeet!:thumbs_up Tough forkin out 500 bones to try one though!

Team Canada
04-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Just got word today that these will not be available for a bit yet, still getting packaging finalized.. so we are a bit late for bear season, but will have them ready for summer/ fall.. they are all new, with higher MP, and better video quality.. will retail for about 200 bucks..

Also doing a couple changes to the bear box, as to be able to lock everything better.. and fit tight..

thought we would have them out at retailers all across Canada, BUT as always.. delays..

spikebuck
04-12-2010, 11:33 PM
so whats the difference between these and the bushnells. they are all made at the same place not just curious

Team Canada
04-13-2010, 11:51 AM
To be perfectly honest, this factory that makes the Coverts, also makes 95% of ALL of the trail camera's out there today (wildview, cuddyback, reconix, Bushnell, etc), most are just Assembled in the US, or Canada.. the only difference is that some have better quality control than others.

jjj
04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Team Canada:
If your cameras are great in the cold, I assume some form of 12 or 6v battery, shoot video and have high MP for $200, count me in for a truck load of them!

Team Canada
04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
we never did test them with battery packs, but they come with an outlet to hook them up.. had real good luck in the coldest of the cold with just regular duracell batteries.. they take 8AA.. in the fall 8000 pics on a set no prob, in the winter we were more like half that.. will post more info, and the packaging when done.. All of them worked very well last year.

bigbuckcanuck
04-13-2010, 01:03 PM
We are running 6 moultrie I40's and have been generally very happy with them without any big problems so far. The battery life is unbelievable with these cams, had two out in -20 to -35 for 5 weeks (Saskatchewan cold spell just after xmas) taking around 1,100 to 1,200 pics each in this time and the batteries were still reading over 80%. Actually now that I think about it one of them is at the farm taking approx 2,000 pics a week of a couple bins of oats we had damaged over the winter that I set them up to shoot thinking there were bears coming in, oddly enough, not a single bear all elk but the batteries are still running fine! As other guys have commented under -15 or -20 celcius the temp strip on your photos gos wacky showing that it is very hot, not a big deal to me. Here are my pros and cons for the I40, over the last 3 or 4 years.

Pros- battery life second to none!
- good picture quality during day and night
- easy to operate
- decent price
- operating easy to update when new programming comes from Moultrie, takes 3 minutes per cam at most,
- seem to last with all our cams that survived the yogi attacks still running strong

Cons
- tend to continue to use night mode (black and white) later into the morning than it should based on time on cams
- card is harder to change that it should be, you have to pull the battery cover panel off, not a huge deal for me but can be an issue if I get pops to change them out when he goes out to the farm not knowing a trailcam from a microwave
- strap it comes with to attach to the tree is a joke, once again not a big deal, just buy or make a steel inclosure as they will get eaten by bears, (lost 2 cams a couple of years ago to yogi)

Here is a link for refurbished I40s from Moultrie, still have warranty better than the $299 canadian tire wants, we have purchased most of ours of ebay.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/catalog.aspx?catid=infraredgamecameras

Whoops just read they don't ship to Canada from there website, that sucks, must be to hard for them to figure out!