PDA

View Full Version : When to start Baiting for whitetails?

Sakoman
03-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Hell Everyone, first post on this site.

I have a question in regards to Sask. baiting for whitetails. When do you start ie. Sept, Nov? Would setting up a bait site a few weeks before a planned hunt work or would one be wasting their time? What do you use typically for bait? Just alfalfa bales? Would peas work? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

saskbowman
03-18-2010, 12:32 PM
welcome to the site lots of baiters here should get good response. this year going to start early summer to get good pics and keep em comin to the stand sight as much as possiable. Come september bow opener should have some bucks hitting the baits good and be able to choose a good animal to harvest good luck!! gonna use oats all summer, next to a good alfa alfa crop come semptember lots crab apples, corn, oats.

JrlSask
03-18-2010, 02:00 PM
I here that bearhunter is a master baiter, maybe he can help you!:teeth:

PAPA BEAR
03-18-2010, 02:06 PM
welcome aboard,

I am also new to baiting so i will be watching this thred

JrlSask
03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
If you are thinking of trying to get in deer regularly in the early season, it can be a tough deal. There are so many food sources available. If want to see what kind of bucks are in a area, first find where they are traveling, if you throw out bait any old place, well you will have some nice pictures of birds! But once I found where I think some bacherlor groups of bucks are staying, I use a chop mixture, peas, oats, barley and some minerals. They seem to really like this. After a couple weeks you will have a good idea on what bucks are traveling through. Maybe! Alot of big mature deer spend their summer in a 400 yard area, but if you can get on one of these deer, you know exactly where to find them! But alot of years deers patterns change dramatically in the week before, or the first ten days of archery season. Then your back to the cat and mouse game again trying to relocate that ceratin buck!

deadhead
03-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Salt and mineral early in spring to keep them in the area and grain aug 1. alfalfa usually doesn't work until mid sept. Yes peas work very well. I hunt bait as soon as they start to use it. Two weeks might be a bit soon but as long as they find it and use it go for it.

owinski
03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
in zone 56 I usually put my bait up on a Saturday and have some nice bucks coming in by Monday a few years in a row.Especially when there is snow on the ground already. We use alfalpha with oats poured on top.

saskbowman
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM
good info.

BeerSlayer1
03-18-2010, 08:09 PM
The longer a buck frequents your bait, the less chance you have of killin him in good light. I think they learn its there, will always be there, and resort to just coming at night when they feel comfortable.

If you get a big one on cam at yur bait, get in there and kill him, every week will usually show him slowing and becoming more nocturnal. Early on there is still the thought in the buck that once its gone its gone.

Interesting...........do you notice the same thing with the "smart" does?

redmist
03-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Start as early as possible with salt and lots of it .
Then later on with what ever you can get oats , peas ,alfalfa ,corn etc.
The trick is don't frequent your bait to often they may start coming to your bait at night .
Deer feeders works well you can set the time you want to feed to come out .

firefighter
03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
in zone 56 I usually put my bait up on a Saturday and have some nice bucks coming in by Monday a few years in a row.Especially when there is snow on the ground already. We use alfalpha with oats poured on top.

IN THE FOREST(CROWN LAND) YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL AUG 1ST BEFORE YOU CAN BAIT FOR BIG GAME UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE BAITING BEAR IN SPRING. THAT INCLUDES SALT

jjj
03-19-2010, 09:32 AM
If you are in Bear country don't bother until they (Bears) go to bed, sometime in early to mid October, otherwise you will just have a Bear bait.

owinski
03-19-2010, 12:34 PM
IN THE FOREST(CROWN LAND) YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL AUG 1ST BEFORE YOU CAN BAIT FOR BIG GAME UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE BAITING BEAR IN SPRING. THAT INCLUDES SALT

Yes, and you have to have a sign with your name on it and there are restrictions as to how much you put out at once.
Also my nephew who was doing some outfitting, mentioned that you don't want to put too much out at once because the big bucks will defend territory if it is a small amount and not let other deer on it.

Ice Fissure
03-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Dig a hole about 8 inches deep, fill it with water softner salt. It will last at least 6 months, you will be creating a salt lick. Use the same hole year after year. When frost kills natural vegetation add oats and alfalfa nearby. Once your bait is being hit just add enough to keep them coming. Big bucks will protect a limited food source. If you have an over abundance of food you will have everything coming to feed. Once the rut is on does in heat urinating in the area will bring bucks in with there nose to the ground. Happy hunting!

Bearhunter
03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the input crew...good thread.

Sakoman
03-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all the great responses.