PDA

View Full Version : using a 12 volt battery on a trail cam

PAPA BEAR
08-07-2011, 04:36 PM
About a week ago there was a thread about ulternate power source for cams. Someone was using a 12 volt motorcycle battery to power theirs.

Does it not hurt the cams dc voltage, because they are powered at 6 dc volt? I am thinking of wiring in a lawn and garden battery, if I can! they are on sale at the coop for 40.00 right now.

What does everyone use for ulternate power source?

spikebuck
08-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I use car batteries in winter 2 years running cam is still ok. went to radio shack and got a universal charging kit to find the right end to fit the cam cost me 16 bucks plus to alligator clips. Note dont try this on a primos cam.

zeecamp
08-07-2011, 05:22 PM
My Stealth Cam is powered by a 12 volt battery and I attached a solar panel to it also.

truckin_moose
08-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Just a car battery with an adapter plug. Hose clamps on the posts. ;)

greatwest82
08-07-2011, 07:24 PM
My Stealth Cam is also powered by 12volt battery with solar panel then I bought a marine plastic battery box from Canadian Tire for $18 keeps the battery out of rain snow. Seems to be working just fine.

tracker
08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
DONT USE A 12V BATTERY ON A 6 VOLT CAMERA.

You will wreck it for sure, Here is what you could use.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Powersports/MotorcycleAccessories/PRD~0271002P/Motomaster%2BPowersports%2BBattery%252C%2B6-Volt.jsp

groundhog
08-08-2011, 04:50 PM
For a 6V battery try a sealed lead acid rechargeable battery, they are meant for running them right down and been recharged. We use them in our fire panels and emergency lights and change them out every 2 to 3 years even if they are still good so I have a couple kicking around all the time 6V and 12V. PB if you need a couple let me know, they are used but still work like new.

PAPA BEAR
08-08-2011, 06:02 PM
DONT USE A 12V BATTERY ON A 6 VOLT CAMERA.

You will wreck it for sure, Here is what you could use.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Powersports/MotorcycleAccessories/PRD~0271002P/Motomaster%2BPowersports%2BBattery%252C%2B6-Volt.jsp

That's what I figured, I was at Whole sale today, they have 12volt systems for the steath cams, but nothing els. So I figure out what to do, to go with 2 square 6 v flashlight batteries. should work just fine.

Thanks for the ideas guys

GreenMachine
08-08-2011, 10:34 PM
That's what I figured, I was at Whole sale today, they have 12volt systems for the steath cams, but nothing els. So I figure out what to do, to go with 2 square 6 v flashlight batteries. should work just fine.

I used to use the square flashlight batteries, they just never lasted very long. I've tried lots of different batteries, got some car sized 6volt batteries and they power a camera for a long long time, just a pain to carry back into the bush. Now I just use the newer cameras that run off 8 AA batteries and they run spring to fall on one set of batteries approx 10000 pics on one set.

spikebuck
08-09-2011, 12:11 AM

Better yet take the car battery out of the wifes vehicle and use that. best part is she cant get to go shoppin which even saves u more money:)

HNTNFSH
08-09-2011, 12:48 AM
I used to use the square flashlight batteries, they just never lasted very long. I've tried lots of different batteries, got some car sized 6volt batteries and they power a camera for a long long time, just a pain to carry back into the bush. Now I just use the newer cameras that run off 8 AA batteries and they run spring to fall on one set of batteries approx 10000 pics on one set.

GREEN Machine what cameras are you using?

GreenMachine
08-09-2011, 08:12 AM
GREEN Machine what cameras are you using?

HCO Scoutguard cameras.

PAPA BEAR
08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
I have 2 batteries hooked together, this is for the tasco, it runs on 4 AA and they were dead in 5 days, althought there was over 200 pics on it, but should have lasted longer than that. I have found the everedies are longer lasting than the duracells. The bushnell is ran by 8 AA's and lasts a long time, but it has the plug for the external battery so I will try the same set up and see once the batteries go dead. My Bushnell Scout is 4 D's, and I have enough D's to last the year, father in law gave me 20 newones, plus what I have.

Maybe next year I will hook up a 6 volt bike battery

88outdoors
08-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Try AA lithium ion they last twice as long they are made for digital cameras stuff like the more price but will last a hell of alot longer.

Moose64
08-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Sounds like too much work for me I use scout gaurd and acorns and they work all year on AA batteries

PAPA BEAR
08-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Sounds like too much work for me I use scout gaurd and acorns and they work all year on AA batteries

spent 3 hours hooking up the 2 batteries to the tasco, but 5 days on 4 batteries will break me, we will see what thes 2 square 6 volts hook in parelel does. I got them given to me(10) so the batteries are cheep.

I guess U get what U pay for, cheep cam hard on batteries, expencive cam easy on batteries.

My bushnell trophy cam lasts a long time on 8 AA, And I will try the lithium ones thanks

PAPA BEAR
08-10-2011, 12:12 AM
I put the tasco back up tonight with the 2-6 volt wired in paralle. so we will see how long they last.

knopp346
08-16-2011, 10:00 PM
so how does one exactly wire a 6 volt battery to a trail cam? i bought 2 wild view ez cams a few months back but they are to hard on batteries so they are just collecting dust.

PAPA BEAR
08-16-2011, 11:35 PM
so how does one exactly wire a 6 volt battery to a trail cam? i bought 2 wild view ez cams a few months back but they are to hard on batteries so they are just collecting dust.

I pulled my cam apart, found the pos, and neg wires where they hooked to the battery center, drilled a small hole just big enough to get light speeker wire through, put wire ends on ( male spade) used the 2 batterries that would normally sit in the spot the wires are sodered to, and pushed the spade connector into the propper ends of the batterrties.

I will try and remember to take a picture the next time I am out checking my cams. Works great, and is very simple to do. But it took me about 3 hrs to figure it out.

m3mhunter
04-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Reviving another old one...

So what is everyone using now & how does everyone wire up their 6V,12v and solar...

mmntmonster
04-19-2013, 02:59 PM
I tried some AA ultimate lithiums this winter and probly got at least 6000 pics on a flash camera. Nighttime temps were consistently -20 or colder. Thought that was pretty awesome. I'm sure you would get double that in nice weather. Good enough for me