PDA

View Full Version : How long would you hang an Elk

DoubleDropTine
09-27-2012, 08:02 PM
We got about a 4 year old bull last week and we are not sure on how long we should let it hang for before we cut it up.. Does it matter on how old the animal is or are we just waisting meat the longer it hangs?

JrlSask
09-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Few days is lots

RickO
09-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Ab so frickin lutely wasting meat if you hang it like a beef!! Have done many animals in camp after a 2 day hang (cut and wrap) cuz we hav the ability to do it in camp. PERFECT MEAT EVERY TIME!! And I got a thing about my meat, let me tell ya!! Rigor Mort needs to come and go, then you are off to the races!!

venisonking
09-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't hang wild game for more than 3 or 4 days. Sometimes only 1 or 2 days. There is not enough fat in wild game to justify hanging longer than that. And the carcass dries out real fast compared to beef.

Karl Lauten
09-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Not having a cooler I tend to skin as soon as getting home then cut and wrap the next day. I think wild animal carcasses don't need anywhere near the time that is used to "age" beef and unless you can have the cleanliness of a good butcher shop aging can really allow for a lot of initial spoilage and reduced quality over time for frozen meat. If it is hot weather I place ice blocks inside the rib cage as well as covering with wet cloth, hang it as best as I can from rafters in the garage and a gentle fan to move air and then cut and wrap the next day. Usually 'am too tired to do the butchering any sooner anyways so a break is great. In general terms if you have a cooling facility that will cool the carcass down to 5-10C hang one day for each year of age after age 2, younger no need to wait. Some old geezer bulls elk or moose) can hang forever and not be improved at all. Last year it was very warm when I bagged my bull and the butcher charged me $558 for 25 lbs of sausage and cutting and wrapping of meat, so hanging and butchering your own meat gives substantial savings. What a blessing it would be to be able to cool and hang game in camp like RickO so there is no rush to head home early!

masonsdad
09-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Not having a cooler I tend to skin as soon as getting home then cut and wrap the next day. I think wild animal carcasses don't need anywhere near the time that is used to "age" beef and unless you can have the cleanliness of a good butcher shop aging can really allow for a lot of initial spoilage and reduced quality over time for frozen meat. If it is hot weather I place ice blocks inside the rib cage as well as covering with wet cloth, hang it as best as I can from rafters in the garage and a gentle fan to move air and then cut and wrap the next day. Usually 'am too tired to do the butchering any sooner anyways so a break is great. In general terms if you have a cooling facility that will cool the carcass down to 5-10C hang one day for each year of age after age 2, younger no need to wait. Some old geezer bulls elk or moose) can hang forever and not be improved at all. Last year it was very warm when I bagged my bull and the butcher charged me $558 for 25 lbs of sausage and cutting and wrapping of meat, so hanging and butchering your own meat gives substantial savings. What a blessing it would be to be able to cool and hang game in camp like RickO so there is no rush to head home early! where the hell did you take it that you got charged that much? must have been a giant elk for that kind of money!

PAPA BEAR
09-27-2012, 09:39 PM
2-3 days at the longest, but depends on tempurature.

Workhorse
09-27-2012, 09:43 PM
We usually butcher the day after its shot.

wil_wil2
09-27-2012, 10:21 PM
We only let it hang until we are done our Elk hunting, as soon as we return home from the hunting trips we process it.

deadhead
09-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Ditto. hang 24 hours or until well cooled is all I do. 48 hours at most.

zeecamp
09-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Our's went in on Monday and done by Friday. We've had it cut and wrapped the next day and it was excellent too.

djhunter
09-28-2012, 12:53 PM
same for us,Mrs dj shoot a spike first day in the cooler for 3-4 days and we cut it up.....4 days is already getting to long

Kenmore
09-28-2012, 12:57 PM
I leave it until it is cooled thru. Then shes hack and slash for me.

DoubleDropTine
09-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys for the info:thumbs_up

slayer
09-28-2012, 05:24 PM
I only hang em until they're dead. Then cut em up!

BeerSlayer1
09-28-2012, 05:25 PM
until well cooled

That's what I do with wild game, habging for long periods just seems to dry it out.

possum
09-28-2012, 05:26 PM
I only hang em until they're dead. Then cut em up!

:laughing:

with wild meat the sooner you get them cooled and cut up the better