PDA

View Full Version : barefoot earlier in the spring...

jynxe
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
"If I had my life to live over again, I'd try to make more mistakes next time. I wouldn't try to be so perfect. I would relax more. I'd limber up. I'd be sillier than I've been on this trip. In fact, I know very few things that I would take so seriously. I'd be crazier. I'd be less hygienic. I'd take more chances, I'd take more trips, I'd climb more mountains, I'd swim more rivers, I'd watch more sunsets, I'd go more places I've never been to. I'd eat more ice cream and fewer beans. I'd have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones. You see, I was one of those people who lived prophylactically and sensibly and sanely hour after hour and day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had it to do all over again, I'd have more of those moments. In fact, I'd try to have nothing but beautiful moments -- moment by moment by moment. I've been one of those people who never went anywhere without a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, and a parachute. If I had it to do all over again, I'd travel lighter next time. If I had it to do all over again, I'd start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I'd ride more merry-go-rounds, I'd watch more sunrises, and I'd play with more children, if I had my life to live over again. But you see, I don't"
- Dr. Leo Buscaglia

This is one of my favorite quotes and part of the reason I started to make so many changes in my life. I want a life of beautiful moments, I want to achieve things and always strive to be better.
Hopefully it inspires you too. :)

trot
02-06-2008, 04:52 PM
that is a good one jynxe.. thanks for sharing

edie555
02-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I love that quote. I work, but it is mostly so my family can live the rest of our lives by those type of philosiphies. The last few years have been amazing.

halfdoc
02-06-2008, 09:43 PM
I must say, I am living a life with very, very few regrets.:) I am confindent when I look back upon my life someday in the very far future, I will be able to smile and feel as if I did it.No regrets:D

jynxe
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
The story behind that quote is that it's actually from someone Leo Buscaglia was talking with, an older gentleman. I like it because it really puts things into perspective.
Leo is a fabulous writer and I like the direction that reading his wisdom points me in. Here's some more of his writings and I find them just as profound as the first.

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool,
To weep is to risk being called sentimental.
To reach out to another is to risk involvement.
To expose feelings is to risk showing your true self.
To place your ideas and your dreams before the crowd
is to risk being called naive.
To love is to risk not being loved in return.
To live is to risk dying.
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to
risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is
nothing, and becomes nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn,
feel, change, grow or love.
Chained by his certitude, he is a slave; he has forfeited his
freedom.
Only the person who risks is truly free.
Leo Buscaglia, Writer

(This is actually the one I try to live by the most and was a philosophy I embraced long before I read his work, but he expresses it so much better than I ever could.)

A Start by Dr. Leo Buscaglia

Each day, I promise myself not to try to solve all my life problems at once -- nor shall I expect you to do so;

Starting each day, I shall try to learn something new about me and about you and about the world I live in, so that I may continue to experience all things as if they had been newly born;

Starting each day, I shall remember to communicate my joy as well as my despair, so that we can know each other better;

Starting each day, I shall remind myself to really listen to you and to try to hear your point of view and to discover the least-threatening way of giving you mine, remembering that we are both growing and changing in a hundred different ways;

Starting each day, I shall remind myself that I am a human being and not demand perfection of you until I am perfect, so you're safe;

Starting each day, I shall try to be more aware of the beautiful things in our world -- I'll look at the flowers, I'll look at the birds, I'll look at the children, I'll feel the cool breezes, I'll eat good food -- and I'll share these things with you;

Starting each day, I shall remind myself to reach out and touch you, gently, with my words, my eyes and with my fingers, because I don't want to miss feeling you;

Starting each day, I shall dedicate myself again to the process of being a lover -- and then see what happens;

You know, I'm really convinced that if you were to define love, the only word big enough to engulf it all would be "Life" -- LOVE IS LIFE -- in all its aspects ... And if you miss love, you miss life !

(This one I'm still learning to perfect, but it's a great goal. Don't you think?)

SkylarJo
02-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Thank you for sharing, Jynxe! I've never heard of him but now that I have I am defintely going to look further.